Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Fade Ceremony


Wrath: [There were so many bodies. This would go down as one of the worst massacres in the history of our race and it had happened on my watch. It was up to me to make this right and I was intent on doing just that. Most of the bodies that we had recovered had found their way back to the families. That had been a difficult task in and of itself. Knocking on all of those doors only to greet the faces behind them with the terrible message that their son, their daughter, hellren, shellan or sibling was dead. I hadn’t made all of the house calls but I did share in the load. Maybe I should have made them all. The race was my responsibility after all. Now, all over my kingdom, numerous families were holding ceremonies. They were all mourning their losses and I mourned with them. I felt the pain of it all as acutely as they did. At one point I had even thought that I lost my Queen in the same manner. So many bodies and we still had four that we could not identify. Vishous was very good at his job and even he hadn’t been able to identify these four lost souls. They deserved the same ceremony that everyone else was getting. And for these ones that had no name we would see them into the Fade. Fritz had seen to the all of the arrangements. On the back lawn there now stood four pyres that were ready to meet the fiery hand of the son of Bloodletter. The whole mansion felt the heavy weight of all of these deaths. We needed to move past it properly so that we could get to the task of making the lesser pay for what they had done. I ran my hand down the front of my silk robes and stood up straighter. I still wasn’t entirely sure what I would say or what I should do but I was the King and this was all part of my job. I took my strength from the fact that Kisa had made it home safely. Had she not this would be an entirely different thing right now. She was by my side now and that was where I planned on keeping her. Together we were stronger, together we were King and Queen. My arm hooked out to catch her hand and I leaned in to whisper ‘I love you’ in her ear before stepping out the back door. Kisa would be my eyes tonight, I knew that Fritz had made it as easy as possible with a straight path forward but I relied on Kisa to tell me where to stop. I could hear the torches that must be lighting the way to the funeral pyres. It was split evenly down the middle, two females and two males, that hadn’t been identified. Every scrap of information that we had about them had been taken down just in case someone came up later looking for these four. My back was stiff and my head held straight forward as I walked. I left the bo staff with Fritz. This was a solemn occasion that had no place for weapons, even ones that helped me see my way. I stopped when Kisa did and stood there quietly waiting until everyone was ready and assembled. I could feel the cool wind blow across my face and heard the soft sounds of nature. I waited until everything around me grew quiet and then I raised my voice.] We are here tonight to honor the lost ones that have fallen. These four that lay before us were cut down too early. They were not the only ones that were struck down and we mourn the terrible loss of every life this night. The race has suffered a blow I can only pray that we will come back from. We know not who these souls are, we don’t know what greatness they may have accomplished or who loved them while they were here. So tonight we will stand here to offer up our love and see them safely into the Fade in the arms of the Scribe Virgin may they at last know peace.

Kisa: ~I had never went to a funeral, I never had any family so there was never anyone to lose. Tonight though I would be going to something like that, Wrath had called it a ceremony. It didn’t matter what anyone called still in the end it was people who had lost their lives way too soon and in such a violent way. My head fell forward and I repeated the process of counting. This all was hitting so close to the bone. I could easily be out there lying in the ceremonial wrappings and why wasn’t I? I should have been but that night my father swooped and changed the fates for me. Now here I was with a great many of people to send off these poor souls to a place Wrath had called the fade. I could only assume that was what I knew of heaven and I had no doubt that each one of them would make it into the fade. I believed in God, I had prayed to him often enough and more times than naught he had saved me from myself and situations but right now I prayed to the race’s Scribe Virgin. I said a silent prayer for each soul and when I was done I gratefully took a hold of Wrath’s hand when he reached for mine. This was not a walk I wanted to repeat often and when we stopped I looked up at Wrath and my heart constricted painfully for him. The man had that all-consuming aura that a King should have and I doubted he even knew that about himself. Just as I knew now he carried each death like a cut across his beating heart. I gave his hand once last squeeze and I moved aside but I kept my eyes locked on him even when he was done speaking and the next Brother stepped up and then the voice of an angel filled the wintery night.~

V: It had been hell, no that wasn’t right, hell would be a vacation right now. After all the retrieval and cleanup work had been done I had helped with the bodies and finding where they belonged. Their faces burned in my mind and the taste of revenge lodged in my throat. We all were stretched thin but I believed the constant going helped in not giving us much time to think. Tonight though we had to do one last thing before we as the Brotherhood threw all other bullshit out the window and focused only on taking out as many of those bastards as we could and then some. I stood on the back lawn, my shoulders stooped down and I looked over at Butch. My source of strength right now, the nights since the attack I had taken to stealing moments to just hold onto him. I didn’t question it and neither did he thankfully. Everything was set up to perfection but I knew that didn’t even need to be requested by the King. My diamond eyes lighted on the Doggens milling around to pay their respect to our lost ones and the looks on their faces even had my cold heart flinching with the pain I saw. This should have never happened, but it did and here we were left to fight through the pain and loss of it. With my head bowed slightly I quietly spoke in the old language a prayer to the Scribe to receive these children of hers and guide them on. Even in a time like this I knew who to speak to, she was all they had now. My head came up and I watched Wrath walked down the lighted pathway and stop at the end. His words fell on me like a weight and I welcomed it. It would serve me well when I hit the streets. After he spoke I walked up to stand at the foot of the first wrapped body. I unfolded my hands and let them hang loosely at my sides as once again I said whispered prayer for the one I stood at. When the last syllable fell from my lips I took the leather glove from my hand. I didn’t have to work up the power it was just there. My hand was aglow and as I laid it on the covered feet of the one I stood at the flame crawled over the body like a blanket. Covering it from head to toe until every inch was covered and before I moved to repeat the process on the next one the flames were taking on a life of their own and growing upwards. With my head bowed I repeated the same prayer and the same touch as I did from the first until I stood on the side to the last body. By now all four lost ones were blazing and the fire between them danced and rolled together in unison.

Butch: -I was still not really accustomed to these robes and ceremonies that went with them but a funeral, that I understood pretty well. I’d seen my fair share of funerals and all of them reminded me of Janie. My eyes shut and I reached up to close my hands around the crucifix at my neck. Under my breath I said a prayer for the dead. I could see the tension that rested on the shoulders of my Hellren. I wanted nothing more than to take that pain away from him but that wasn’t possible. We all felt this one, each in our own way. I listened to Wrath’s words and I saw Vishous step forward. My brow wrinkled until I saw him free his glowing hand. Of course, who needed matches when they had a built in supernova? I knew exactly what that hand could do but for me it was something completely different. The ultimate cleanser. I watched as each body was set ablaze. The heat grew and grew all from the simple touch of that amazing hand. And then, through everything, the voice of Brother Zsadist cut through the night with the most heartfelt sounds I had ever heard. I may not have understood the words but it was easy to understand the feeling behind them. I saw Vishous set fire to the last body and I made my way around the edge of the gathering to be next to him once more. My hand found his glowing one and I squeezed it tightly.-

Z: [Listening to every word that the king spoke I felt this unfamiliar ache in my chest. To me it felt like I did the race wrong by not protecting the ones that we lost. Sure we have lost civilians before but this was just…too many. Reaching a hand up to scrub at my skull trim as I watch my brother Vishous now steps forward. Listening closely as he whispers a pray that I say silently in my head. All these different emotions were forming and it was all new to me. Long ago I taught myself to hold it all in and now I felt like I was reborn and everything was changing with me, and not just my eyes. Pinching the brim of my nose I watch closely as each body is set to flames causing a soft shuddered breath to fall from my parted lips, only once my brother steps back do I take one forward. I could feel their eyes on me but I didn’t care…my golden hues were locked on the ones we lost…the ones that were burning to a crisp before my very eyes. With my lips still parted I take in a deep breath before I start to sing a soft song in the old language. My voice just barely a whisper until it grows to be heard all around us. As my vision grows blurry I quickly close my eyes but stays strong and sings my fucking heart out with the sweetest, softest voice that only an angel could have. But I was no angel no…I was just me and dammit I was going to sing for the ones we lost until my voice gave out. Tentatively I open my eyes to watch them burn as I continue to fill the air with the soft sounds of my voice. My hands clench at my sides, fingers curling and causing my blunt nails to dig into my flesh as I feel a new emotion form. I wanted to seek vengeance on the fuckers that did this to our race. My eyes flicker to the side and I watch out of the corner of my eyes all of my brothers. Seeing that their eyes were locked onto the burning bodies before us and for once I wanted something…I didn’t know what it was but I felt the need to be closer to them. I step back a bit until I’m back in line and beside my twin, my voice still going strong as I sing my heart out. Turning my head to look over phury before looking back at the bodies…this is where I belonged…with my brothers. I knew that we would seek revenge and all work together to make sure the lessers paid for what they did. I gently let my shoulder brush my twins before closing my eyes again and just keeps on singing]

Phury: *My head down as I stand shoulder to shoulder with my brothers, my silk robes although light felt as heavy as chains right now. We had returned the fallen I had only been called on once to back up Wrath and I was glad for that, the look of horror on the faces of the family when we brought home their son was one I hope never to see again, yet it was a look that I had seen for years on my own parents eyes as they look at me. Taking a deep breath as I watch Wrath come down to the pyres, his words ringing true in my heart letting my past fall away I say a silent pray to the Scribe for the four bodies before me, not only lost to life but lost from those that loved them. My eyes falling from Wrath and Kisa to follow Vishous as he strides forward to set the pyres alight, the glow on his hand overly bright as in places it not once but four times down on the pyres as he lights each one in turn. The look to Butch not lost to me as turn my own head to look at Tess standing beside me, taking her hand in mine just to feel her as we all needed to know the ones we loved where here and safe. Turning back as I hear the angelic tones of Zsadist rising up into the night sky, the old language falling from his lips warming my heart even if I did feel a single tear fall from my eyes. Their names may not yet be known but all here will remember them till the ends of our own days, my eyes locking on my twins as his voice along with the flames Vishous set alight rise up to the sky and with the will of Wraths words and the blessing of the Scribe will send our fallen unto the Fade. Watching Zsadist walk back to stand by me the brush of his shoulder comforting as I brush back, after tonight all bets were off, any Lessers we meet better hope we finish them off quick as I wanted blood for what was taken from our race. I wanted black blood to flow till I was drowning it it, maybe then I could make sense of all the murders that happened to our race*

Tess:  *I stood there just as I had at my friends ceremony still and trying to keep my composure. Phury’s robes had been cleaned. My hand brushed against them and my heart stopped for just a moment. It wasn’t long ago that he’d been in them  and I’d been beside myself trying to see him back to full strength and well. Tonight he wore them and honored the four souls before us who’d never have a chance to heal. Whose families wherever they may be didn’t know they were gone. We knew, and I prayed harder than before that somehow these souls would find peace and joy in the fade. I looked up to see Wrath walking down with Kisa. I was mixed between the emotion for the loss of life and the pride in seeing our race’s King make sure that no one was left without proper honors. A sense of belonging fell over me. This was home, here was where my heart lived. Wrath spoke , V stepped forward and gave  a prayer and set the pyers aflame. I had been holding on until Z started to sing. My hand fitted into Phury’s and all of the strength I had left fell away. The hot tears flowed freely down my cheeks. Out of the most unlikely of places the most beautiful song filled the air. I watched Z back up and stand as closely to Phury as he could without actually holding his twin. I watched Wrath and Kisa stand closer and Butch take V’s hand I could see  the seething under the surface for each and every one of the Males here. My eyes fell last to Avarice. We’d both helped to wrap those who were lost. It had been painful and we knew all of the faces. I doubted I would ever be able to remove them from my mind.  I was grateful that she had such a strong male with her. It wasn’t that she was weak by any means but I knew how hard all of this was on her. I knew that each of us was going to be feeling the toll of this for a long time. My only solace was that All of these males were going to seek retribution, they would stay sharp and focused knowing they all needed to stay fit for duty as it were in order to seek justice for each life lost. It was in that moment that I truly understood the importance of what the brotherhood was all about.*

Tohr: *My eyes are lingering on the four bodies ready to be sent into the Fade. Knowing that there are families out there not knowing if their loved ones are going to come back home or not, twist at my heart. Even for the ones who might have been by themselves without a family, they should not have died the way the did. This was a low for the Lessers and a blow to our race. I can feel the wind caress my cheek as I am deep in my thoughts. As warriors we know that we put our bodies on the line every night we go out, but this. These civilians had no chance to fight back. It is eerily silent as everyone is lined up for the ceremony for the dead. Wrath’s voice tears through the still night and every word is solemnly said, the unnecessary death’s hanging heavily on everyone present. I say my own prayer to myself in my head and watch as V unsheathes his hand, the light spilling out of the glove as he takes it off. As he begins to light the pyres, I watch; gaze unmoving from the fire overtaking the night. Zsadist’s lilting voice begins to sing, causing me to shiver at the melodic overtures that brush my sensitive ears. It is beautiful and a fitting way to send off the dead. As I watch the flames burn, I clench my teeth and make a promise to myself to get as many of these fucking Lessers as I can.*

Kalea: Standing there and bearing witness to something so heartbreakingly tragic was new to me. The only time I had ever been to something similar to this was for my mother but I had just been an infant. It threw me a bit, like a shock to the system to see the brothers in their robes and the rest of the family gathered there to see these four off to the Fade. The air was heavy with despair at all the losses even more so for those with no name but it was lit with anger for the same reason. I had only ever cared for Darius and his safety and after he had died that had gone but after Fritz had explained to me the ceremony taking place I couldn’t help but feel the grief at the lost of so many for our kind. I couldn’t help but steal a glance over at Tohrment as Zsadist started to sing. He stood strong and unyielding as his gaze stayed focused on the four pyres, like the warrior he was. I knew that him along with his brothers would seek justice for what had been done to the race. Listening to Wrath’s words, Zsadist’s singing, and watching as Vishous lit the pyres aflame brought tears to my eyes as I bowed my head. Praying to the Scribe for these souls to find peace in the Fade.

Rhage: [[Once outside, the white silk robes sitting like lead against my skin as I took my place and looked at the bodies laid before us. As was tradition they’d been wound with linen and the utmost care had been taken to give them the respect that they deserved that the Lessers had denied them in their deaths. I was seething inside, we’ve been a war with the bastards since beyond recorded time but this was the first time open war had been waged. My thoughts were interrupted when Wrath started speaking. The words were poignant and said with such emotion that my anger only grew. I watched as V stepped forward and removed his lead lined glove. Closing my eyes I silently offered up a prayer to the Scribe Virgin to welcome the souls of the lost and see them safely unto the Fade. The glow from the pyres was nearly blinding even with my eyes closed. Again I was pulled from my thoughts when Zsadist started to sing. The Brother might be a lot of things but the Scribe had gifted him with a voice that could make angels weep. More than any prayers that we’ve offered, that voice would see them safely on their journey. As soon as this was done it was time to start planning for retribution.]]

Murhder:  [I felt out of place a little bit. I hadn’t worn these robes in so long. I hadn’t fought or helped find these bodies. But yet here I was. I felt like I was invading some private moment. Watching V burn the bodies tore at my gut. Gritting my teeth, my fists clenching beneath my robes. Oh these Lessers would pay. This felt personal to me. Don’t know why. But each dead body felt like a slap in the face. The Lessers were upping the game taking more risky moves and it was our job to take them down. I was way more than ready. Z’s voice carried over to me and immediately the tension inside my body loosened. When was the last time I’d heard Z sing? Way too damn long. I snuck a glance at Z then back to the fire. Each lesser, I swore to myself would feel the pain and suffering that these people had. I would torture them with my damn bare hands if I had to. Call it vengeance, call it revenge I don’t care, I call it getting even.]

J.M: *I hated burials that much was true, they were a vast reminder of Sarelle, of course I knew the cause was bigger than her but my anger stemmed from her. I remember when the time I found out I couldn’t remember which brother it was but he said to me ‘That anger and regret use it to your advantage but don’t let it eat you up or it will be your destroyer’ I knew what he meant instantly of course. My hands instantly attempting to slide my hands in my pockets then realising I had no pockets on the robe, old habits die hard.  My cold hardened stare was on the  blazing fire surrounding the coffins, I thought of the families when Wrath said his piece.  Folding my palms in front of me saying a prayer to the holy scribe for their acceptance to the Fade.*

Blay:  * I watched the whole scene unfold with my jaw clenched tightly. I was breathing slowly to keep the growl that wanted to rip from my chest at bay. So many lost and all but four home with the ones who would miss them. These four would be honored by us. I itched to be out on the street hunting down every white haired chicken that dare to cross my path. It was one thing to come after the warriors and the trainees like myself who were ready for this battle. It was another thing completely to go after the civilian population. The females pissed me off more than anything else. I held my place. My hands folded in front of me steadfast. I looked around taking in all that was going on and Z’s voice filled the air. I was ready for it all to be finished. It was time to pay respects , send a prayer and then go avenge their loss with as much lesser death as possible. *

Qhuinn: (I was here but I didn’t want to be, not that I didn’t want to pay my respects but because none of this should have happened. I had been out since this hit on our race had happened and the civilians were scared shitless and who could blame them. Their faith right now in the Scribe and the Brotherhood were being tested harshly. Day after day we all worked tirelessly, even now as I look out at the inhabitants of the Mansion I could see weariness and deep seated pain etched on their faces. My head shook and I unfolded my hands so that I could reach down and take a hold of Avarice’s. I heard our Kings voice and I watched V step up and then there was fire and it was all tied in with the heavenly sounds of the Brother Z singing. My heart ached and I had to squeeze the hand in my hold just to keep me from leaving. All of this was too much and I wanted to scream from the injustice of it but what good would that do anyone. So I stood there and waited till our King gave the go ahead on a killing spree and that couldn’t come soon enough.)

Avarice: *Oh god, I wasn’t going to make it through this. I thought I would be able to but standing here now, looking out across the bodies, it was just too much. My whole body was trembling with the tears that I was trying to hold back. It could just as easily be me on one of those pyres. These vampires were just like me. If I hadn’t met Qhuinn I could have been one of the ones that no one knew. Gone, just like that. And I’d helped wrap them up so they could be here right now. I remembered the female closest to me. Sure I couldn’t see her face now, but I remembered wrapping that one because she was the first one and I didn’t know what the heck I was doing. Part of the cloth hung out funny because I didn’t tuck it in properly. Damn it, I’d screwed it all up. This was her last time to shine, to be in front of everyone and I’d botched it. I took a step forward, itching to fix my mistake, when suddenly a very large Brother stepped in front of me and whoosh! up in flames. I more fell back against Qhuinn than anything. My lower lip trembled and I managed to hold it together for exactly two seconds before I heard the singing. My eyes instantly filled up with tears and I turned into Qhuinn’s chest to hide my break down. I literally clung on to him to hold myself up and buried my face against him. I didn’t like losing it like this but I couldn’t hold it in any longer. But I also knew that Qhuinn was here and if I could cry on anyone’s chest it was his. I was one of the lucky ones and I would never forget it.*

Bella: *I stood with my head down and my hand clasped together. Actually more like clenched. After wrapping Ahna, I was numb, both inside and out. Wrath’s words struck me to my core. This could have easily been my Fade ceremony with all the foolishness I had done as of late. As I looked around at everyone my heart tightened. Hadn’t we all lost so much already? Hadn’t the race lost enough? Anger rose as I wiped a few stray tears from my cheeks. I wanted to scream at the Scribe for allowing this to happen to her “children”. But I wouldn’t out of respect for the dead. These poor souls had no family. No one to mourn them except the somber crowd gathered here who didn’t know them from Adam. But we made sure they had the proper ceremony. Heat from the pyre danced across my face, warming me against the chill and drying my silent tears. I sent my prayers up to the Scribe that these fallen souls would find peace on the other side. *

Havers: /Though I saw death often, it never became any easier. We’d cleaned the bodies, the women had wrapped them, and I’d worked with Vishous on identifying the dead and returning them to their families. It had been clinical, nothing more, until I stood here and watched them burn. The prayers for their passing into the fade, the smell on the air, and the soft song filling the night with words in the old language left me struggling to keep my mind in the present. I didn’t often attend these ceremonies for that very reason, but today these four nameless souls deserved someone to mourn them. The King’s words had been strong and assuring, and the race needed to hear that we could heal from this tragedy. I sent up my own prayers to the Scribe Virgin for the families all over the city that were mourning their loved ones as well, prayers of peace and comfort for today and the days to come. I looked across at the faces of the Brotherhood and their companions. The heaviness of the moment was not lost on these well-trained warriors, and at times like this, I wish that the judgmental Glymera could see them and witness the deep emotional toll the protection of our race took on them. Maybe if the council saw what I did, they wouldn’t be so critical, tossing out their scathing statements behind closed doors and outside of meetings. Our race was struggling, and the last thing we needed was division./

Zsadist: [Soon the bodies are nothing but ash and as I end the song I watch as one by one the brothers, the doggens, and the females of the house slowly leave and head back inside. Phury gives my shoulder a pat before he heads in as well…leaving…just me. Swallowing the dry lump in my throat I decide to step forward and kneels on the cold grass and looks at the piles of ash. Taking in a deep breath I whisper a prayer to the Scribe Virgin then bows my head before parting my lips to once again sing again in the old language. Slowly I rise and looks down at the ground, my voice cracks and I shake my head as a growl builds up] Those lessers better fucking run [I mutter under my breath then shoves my hands in my pockets. I watch fritz come out holding flowers. He almost blinks surprised to see me still out there. He hands me a white rose and sets the rest down on the ground before heading back inside. I twirl the stem a bit before saying another prayer holding the flower up before I place it down on the ground. Humming softly I turn bringing my hands back into my leather jacket and lastly heads inside]

No comments:

Post a Comment