Thursday, March 20, 2014

Unlikely Partners


Butch: -I sat down at the table with a pad of paper and focused on the image in my head. It had been awhile since I had tried to do this but I was confident that I could pull off a reasonable facsimile. The pencil moved over the paper, lightly at first and then with more sure strokes. I turned the paper and may have even stuck my tongue out a little as I drew up a rough sketch. When I was done I set the pencil down and held back my work to look at it. Wasn’t exactly up to police standards but it wasn’t terrible. Gave me somewhere to start on my search for the Forelesser. I knew what he looked like now, I had seen his smug little face. I scanned the picture into my laptop so that I had a copy of it and folded the original up. It slid into my inner suit pocket and I got up to check the time. The sun would be down soon and I had someone to see before my patrol started. I rechecked my weapons and made sure that they were all well hidden in the confines of my suit. My arms slid inside my trench and I was out the door with a cigarette dangling from my lips. Truth be told I was not looking forward to where I was going or who I would be talking to but it felt dumb not to consult a symphath about symphath problems. The very thought of the word made my skin crawl. I hopped into the Escalade and flicked on the music extra loud for the trip into town. Forget about it, drown it out, it didn’t happen, it was all in your head. The problem was some of that did happen. I had been there, I knew what the chains felt like and the millions of tiny legs crawling over my skin. I had looked across at my Hellren as he was lost in his own personal hell and I had purposely dropped the walls to let him in and hold him safely within my mind. The SUV came to a stop behind ZeroSum and I stayed right there, finishing my second cigarette, before I finally went in. It had been awhile since I had been here but the crowd never really changed. I walked straight through the place with only one goal in mind but that never kept me from noticing all of the little things that happened around me. Things that I had been trained to see and some that I just noticed. Drug deal there, that chick is really a dude, the waitress got the shit beat outta her last night by the looks of the bruising, some punk in the back had more money than brains and then the moor in front of me. I stopped, looked up at him and simply said that I needed to speak to the Reverend, the polite and out in the open name to call him here.-

Rehv: [The kind of fact checking  I was immersed in was so vastly different from the norm, that I often found a twisted sense of validation in the paperwork it created. My dear sister had asked for my help, and while I generally left this sort of mundane task to my most trusted right hand female, this was one that required my own personal scrutiny. Not to mention, had I asked Xhex to find suitable guards for my sister’s venture, I would likely have been met with the suggestion of how to creatively shove my cane somewhere rather uncomfortable. So here I sat, behind the large imposing desk with papers strewn across it in an orderly fashion that only I could comprehend, and mused over the various attributes of those I would later personally interview. The names before me all came with high praise from the Moors, and Xhex herself. While I was familiar with two, the third was an intriguing giant of a brute with a long list of positive traits. With an underlying ability to walk the fine line between above board dealings and those of the more underhanded kind. I gathered the paperwork on him and set it to the top of my ever growing pile of things that required my undivided attention.

The moment iAm bumped the heel of his boot against the base of the closed door to my office in his customary greeting, then opened it enough to peek his large head into the room, I had just sat back after tugging open the collar of my shirt in an effort to find a moment’s relaxation. I cast a disinterested glance his way, and remarked in an obviously irritated tone that his timing sucked. Though when he announced my visitor, I was soon sitting up in the leather chair before reaching up to skim a hand over my impeccable mohawk, and smirked to my Moor friend]

Do send in the former detective, iAm.

Butch: -I sucked on a fang as I waited. It hadn’t even occurred to me that Rehv might not actually let me see him. Funny, but it hadn’t. Maybe I should have called ahead. Yaaaa fuck that. I put my hands behind my back and laced my fingers together, rocking back and forth on my feet. I might have even started whistling along to the music if the moor hadn’t come back and told me that it was okay to go in now. Well la, tee, da… I might have thought it but I didn’t say it out loud. I stepped into the strange office with an almost rigid stance. My hands, still behind my back, were holding each other so hard now that they would soon become lovers.- Thank you for seeing me. -I scrutinized the male in front of me in way that I hadn’t ever before. Never really paid him much attention before to be honest. But now… now it was different… I was different. I thanked the maker that he didn’t look like one of them. I think that if I had been standing across from a pure breed symphath right now I would have either stabbed them or pissed myself. Or both, I could do both.-

Rehv: [When Butch entered my office, he brought with him tension that almost instantly caused me to consider giving his grid a little look-see. I regarded him with a seemingly curious glance as I leaned back in my chair, both arms raised slowly to link my fingers behind my head. I was still considering that previous thought but quickly disregarded it in favor of conversation. It had occurred to me while waiting for iAm to show Butch into my office that there had to be damn good reason for this visit. It wasn’t as if the male frequented my establishment much… not anymore, anyway. Without moving from my relaxed pose, I stretched out one leg to kick the chair opposite my desk out in a lazy but welcoming gesture, offering up my most charming grin at his greeting.] So what can I do for you, Butch? [Nodding toward the chair, my gaze remained leveled on the male.] Take a load off.

Butch: -I heard the door close behind me and it felt like I was being locked inside a tomb. My eyes cut to the exit and I reconsidered sitting here in this suddenly too small room with a damn symphath. Don’t itch Butch… come one man, there’s nothing on ya, don’t start itching for no dang reason. Oh yeah and look him sitting there all smug the sonofabitch. If just for that alone I would stick this out. The corner of my eye wanted to twitch and it probably looked like I was about to stroke out on the guy. I know he wasn’t stupid enough to not read how out of my mind I was right now, a frickin grade schooler coulda picked that shit up. The chair in front of his desk screeched across the floor and I swear to god I almost turned and bolted out the door right then and there. My heart jumped up my throat and decided that it would make a run for it with or without me. I was left staring wide eyed at the offending piece of furniture until I could finally breathe again. Now this was just down right ridiculous. I either claimed to have a set of balls or I should just leave them on Rehv’s desk right now and walk out. Sadly I might have even taken a few steps toward the door before I finally found my backbone. I closed my eyes, sucked in a deep breath and just let it all go. When my eyes opened again I was calm and in control of myself.- Thank you. -My head tilted politely and I sat down in the chair.- I assume that you are well aware of enormous loss of civilian life recently… -It wasn’t even a question. If Rehv didn’t already know about that then he was stupid and I knew he wasn’t.- Phury and I were out on patrol and we came across something that I was hoping you could help me with.

Rehv: [So the unusual display that stood before me in the form of Butch was a sight unto himself. I regarded him almost nonchalantly, but didn’t miss one single nuance as he seemed about five seconds from bolting from the room. As iAm secured the door closed as he left, I remained unmoving and watched as the Brother seemed to internally war with himself over why he was here. Now I wasn’t one to find offense to those not particularly wanting to be in my presence, but this was unusual. The male before me tended to exude confidence and bravado, but his current demeanor was far from the norm. I waited in silence, and let my eyes slowly drift around the room as if disinterested in the silent struggle, when in truth I was attempting to quell the sudden urge to have a little wander through his mind. It wasn’t lost on me that something on a grand scale had to have occurred for this to be Butch’s reaction to being here. However, I didn’t acknowledge the uncomfortable nature of his stance but sighed almost in relief as he took the offered chair and spoke. I lowered my hands to let them rest on the smooth top of my desk, shifting in my chair only slightly to appear engaged in the impending conversation, deciding to waive comment regarding Butch’s obvious uncertainty when he gets down to the issue at hand, nodding slowly at the question posed.] I am fully aware of what has occurred, and in fact, I’ve offered my assistance to the King when he and I last spoke. So, you have definitely piqued my curiosity. What is it that you could have encountered that I may be of assistance with?

Butch: -I could tell that he was going out of his way to not make me any more nervous than I already was. I would thank him if I wasn’t trying to focus on the task at hand.- I was searching for whatever I could find out about the forelesser. Seems to me that whoever the new one is has set all of this in motion since they all come into the job with their own ideas on how to do things. -My hand went into my jacket and slowly drew out the sketch that I made.- Take him out and all of this insanity stops. -I carefully unfolded the paper and flattened it out on the desk in front of me. It was good to hear that Rehv had gone to the King, it meant that I had come to the right place.- This is a very rough drawing but he is our new forelesser. -I stabbed my finger down on the face that stared back at me on the paper and I turned it toward Rehv.- He’s a well dressed sonofabitch with an attitude to go with it. Didn’t even bat an eyelash when I came at him. And there was a reason for it… -And now we were to the real reason for why I came here… I slunk back in the chair and stared at my fingers. There was a long pause before I finally glanced back up at the male.- The forelesser has a symphath with him. -I hated even saying the word. As if it had conjured up everything.-

Rehv: [My interest in Butch’s reasons for coming to speak to me increased with every passing moment. While I had vowed allegiance to the race in my own way, it was not lost on any of the Brothers what I truly was, and I always had sensed a certain amount of apprehension when dealing with them. Save for one or two, perhaps. The bigger picture here was yet to be disclosed, I was certain of it. As Butch spoke, I found myself unconsciously moving to sit straighter in the plush leather chair as my curiosity got the best of me. There was still remarkable tension rolling off the male in waves, though his voice didn’t betray that fact. And as he pulled a sketch free of the inside pocket of his jacket, my gaze found the page with quiet scrutiny. The face that was depicted there wasn’t one I recognized, but Butch’s description of the new forelesser had me even more intrigued. I exhaled a deep, short laugh nonchalantly as I regarded the roughly but well drawn face on the paper Butch had pushed toward me before meeting the male’s gaze for a moment.] Ah so the Omega is picking from a more dapper gene pool is he? Albinos in suits is a new development. [My uplifted response was soon to be cut short as Butch offered the real reason he was here. And the gravity of his statement hit me with the force of a physical blow, though I remained unmoving and unable to speak. The silence lingered as I finally tore my gaze from the sketch, and focused on Butch’s face for a long moment with the fleeting hope that this was some sort of sick joke. The truthful nature of his gaze quelled that hope instantly. The word echoed within my mind again and again. A sympath. That side of me instantly stood to the forefront of my being, color visibly drained from the room. This revelation was, without a doubt, beyond anything I could have ever imagined, and could potentially become devastating to all I had accomplished living among the civilian race. I managed to keep hold of my instinct to lash out, though my anger wasn’t directed at the male who sat across from me. No, the rage was settling heavily onto my own shoulders. I should have fucking known. As my hands moved away from the sketch to hide beneath the desk, clenched into fists, my voice devoid any of the inner turmoil as I replied finally.] Well this is the worst fucking news possible. I find myself wishing this could be an error. However, there is no mistaking a sympath when you see one. [My breath expelled in a rushed sigh as I stated the obvious, then from behind clenched teeth, my lowered voice was heard.] This is an allegiance that I will put an end to, even if it fucking kills me.

Butch: I didn’t seem him. -The words slipped out before Rehv had even finished talking and a quick glance up at him told me that I should have kept my mouth shut. The change that came over him wasn’t something that you could see straight out, it was more a thing that could be felt and heard. I hissed and scooted my chair back as far as it would go.- I didn’t see the symphath, I felt what he did to me. -I was already talking now so there really was no stopping my big mouth.- Reached into my skull and took me back there. Back to the caves and tunnels. Chained to the ceiling with scorpions and spiders crawling over me. Staring across from my Hellren only this time he was dead. -My eyes were wild, no doubt about it. I had to stop myself when I felt the comforting weight of my dagger in my hand. I hadn’t come here to kill the guy, I needed his help for shit’s sake.- You will have to pardon me but sitting across from you is not easy for me. The only reason that I even can handle it at all is because you do not look like them. -I pulled my hand slowly away from my dagger and rubbed it over the leg of my slacks. Sweaty… No doubt I stank of fear. I hated it but it was what it was.-

Rehv: [There was no doubt in my mind that my reaction to Butch’s words was visible, even before he shoved his chair back as far from me as the room would allow. My eyes were shut tight as I attempted to force aside the uncharacteristic show of anger. With my head lowered, I was silently giving myself time to recover with a mental pep talk, of sorts. This was unfuckingbelievable. A part of me reasoned that I shouldn’t be surprised, given the nature of the sympath race, but I struggled to rationalize the end result for them. It was easy to see why the Lessers would jump at the chance to team up to further their goal for the miserable existences, but what the hell could the sympaths gain? Especially considering their King was a half breed. But I had to ignore the instant thought that came to mind with that silent question. I was still inwardly seething when I allowed my eyes to open, and took a calming breath as the room seemed to have been forced back to normal during my momentary silence. Every word from Butch echoed throughout the room, even though his voice didn’t particularly rise in volume. Only in intensity. And the fear resonating from him was more evident in his eyes than anything else. In a typical display of evil, the sympath had brought the Brother back to a moment that would scar even the steeliest of male. Fuck. I had been known to give in to the dark side of my being, but this was beyond my current ability to  comprehend. I met Butch’s gaze with one of understanding.] Torture of the mind is the most poisonous, as I’ve also experienced. I must apologize for my reaction. This hits close to home on every level of my existence. [I was unused to being completely lost for words. My position as King of sympaths was not one I wanted to accept, and the realization that this alliance had come to light during my reign hit me like a ton of bricks. I turned my head to glance absently at the wall opposite me, my voice reflected my determination, but with a hint of regret.] I now understand how difficult it must be for you to be here. This has to be a new discovery, or I assume Wrath would have mentioned it. Before I offer my thoughts on a course of action, have you and your Brotherhood discussed a plan of attack?

Butch: -Normally I would have kept my mouth shut and buried all of this fear so deep that it wouldn’t ever come to light. I wanted to blame the fact that I had just been forced to go through the memory once more. The truth was closer to the fact that I knew what a symphath could do to me now. This wasn’t an irrational fear of the unknown, it was a very real fear that had a name and a face.- I didn’t come here to offend you. -But I knew that I had. His reaction to me freaking out clearly told me that. I had to applaud his self control. I knew for a fact that if I had felt his fingers tickling my mind I would have come undone in an instant. I could even see myself leaping across his desk with my dagger in hand. Something like that wasn’t just a bad idea it was straight up suicidal. I was on his turf and he could have guards in here in the space of a heartbeat. So he kept himself in check and I managed a fragile hold on sanity. I practiced a moment of deep breathing to calm myself. He understood me now. Whether I wanted to give that much information up or not it was done and over with. My brow shot up when he said that he had experienced it.- How do you… block it out. -I licked my lips and tried again at what I meant because I wasn’t talking nightmares. Nightmares I knew and I was well aware of who helped me forget them.- I’m mated to Vishous. I’m use to letting him in. -My finger tapped my temple to illustrate what I meant.- The reverse must also be true. How do I keep them out? -I paused to watch him closely because it wasn’t just ‘them’, I was talking about his kind. My hand ran down my suit, straightening it until I reached the pocket and pulled out a smoke. I didn’t even ask if it was okay with him before lighting up. He could toss me out if he didn’t like it.- The Brotherhood knows about it now but you are correct in thinking that this is all recent. I didn’t stick around to discuss plans of attack. -I inhaled deeply and let the smoke out slowly. It was true that I should have stayed to decide these things with my Brothers but I had something to prove to myself. It was important that I be able to come down here and face this alone.- Despite what you have seen of my behavior here tonight, I’m not proud of the fact that my first instinct is to run. I don’t appreciate being immobilized by my fears and it pisses me off, personally, when some sonofabitch kicks around in dark closets. There are… things… that I would rather not remember… /ever/…

Rehv: [It wasn’t lost on me that this Brother was battling the inner turmoil of his admissions. Also obvious was his moment of pause as he made his confession to me. A sympath. Ah so now the real reason for our meeting came to light. This wasn’t a bid to ask for my assistance to track down the slithering fool that had decided the Lessers were a worthy ally. No, this was something entirely different. As Butch caught on to my mention of having the same experience, I would have sworn I saw a hint of what could be construed as hope. If I didn’t know better, that is. I slowly sat back in my chair, the foreboding nature of the conversation almost was visible, hanging heavily in the room. I let Butch’s statement remain the last words spoken for a long moment before opting to address his question first.] The simple truth of it is, you don’t. Blocking it out won’t work. It can’t. The ability sympaths possess isn’t a trick of the mind. There’s far too many emotions to toy with to have it be just that fucking simple. [There was a trace of disgust to my tone. I had oftentimes used my mind control to a very devious advantage, and without regret. But being on the receiving end of such silent torture changed my view, so to speak. My hands came to rest on the arms of my leather chair while I absently watched the smoke from the male’s cigarette curl and reach toward the ceiling.] It takes a fuckload of self control to realize what’s real, and what’s not. That’s the key. I’m going to wager a guess that your encounter with this sympath leveled you completely useless while you succumbed to the vision. /That/ is the goal. That little display, in front of the Forelesser, I’ll bet you my next week’s financial haul that it gave the shifty pale fucker plenty of ideas. [My anger was rising, which no doubt was obvious. And with an almost apologetic edge to my voice, my gaze met Butch’s.] Let me be clear. Your reaction is not a weak link. Your fear is real because what you saw is a reflection of what once occurred. The easy part is for me to tell you to find some place inside you that can rationalize what you’re seeing or feeling is /not/ real. The challenge is to find that place, and fucking cling to it. [With an exasperated sigh, one hand lifted to scrub over my face in an uncharacteristic show of frustration. This wasn’t a damn exact science. Even I, who could delve into the mind of anyone and make their worst fears their reality, couldn’t simply explain away the sinister evil of what Butch had experienced. Or what I, myself, had experienced either. After pause, a thought occurred to me. With a raised brow, I continued.] Tell me… your mate. Vishous. He has the ability to pull you from the nightmares, hm? And don’t seem surprised, I know there are nightmares. They go hand in hand with all this mind fuckery.

Butch: -I wasn’t sure what I had been hoping to hear from Rehv. Mental exercises? Maybe. Maybe I held out some hope that if I just worked at it hard enough I could block out invasion of my own mind. I knew that sometimes I could divert V by thinking about something else loudly enough and I guess that I had hoped that this type of thing would work for me. My brow furrowed and I looked down at my hand resting on my lap. Impossible to block… It was difficult to except. My own sanity demanded that there be a better answer than that. That was no answer at all, it was despair. I looked up when he started talking again and seized on what he said. ‘Realize what’s real.’ Easier said than done when I had actually been there before. The feel, the smell, everything was just as it was before. Except Vishous of course… I almost forgot about my cigarette as I tumbled the thoughts around my brain. I raised my hand and took in another puff and stopped short when I realized the point that Rehv was trying to make.- You think that they are planning something else? -I sat up and scooted forward on my seat.- They are only getting started… The civilians… draws us out in force… -My brain was making connections and I just spit out bits and pieces of what I was thinking.- We have to find these fuckers! -My eyes met and held Rehv’s. I didn’t want to see my Brothers fall to the same kind of mental abuse that I had, that much was certain.- I don’t think that I’m weak, Rehv. I just don’t enjoy not being able to change what is being done to me. There is one that give over control to and he aint that fuck of a symphath. -My eyes narrowed and I almost ended up laughing at Rehv’s last comment. Subconsciously I lifted a hand and ran my fingers over my collar. I wasn’t about to go into details about what my Master did for me, the blessed peace that came from giving over everything to him.- Yeah, he has that ability and so much more. But it’s not exactly feasible to stop mid battle and rely on him for that. -The corner of my lip twitched upward like it had been pulled by a string as I thought of dropping trow to get a spanking while asking a symphath to hold up.-

Rehv: [Even under the gravity of the conversation, by the time Butch had finished speaking, I had the to curb the overwhelming compulsion to reach across the desk and smack the Brother back to reality. The air almost visibly changed as he lifted a hand to absently touch just above the collar of his shirt, and there was no need to take a wander into his mind to see where his thoughts went. Though the perverse side of me damn near won out on that one. With a brow raised and an almost sarcastic hint to my voice, I opted to continue with the conversation rather than let Butch linger in his distracted mind.] Not to pull you away from your reverie, but the track your mind just took is a little off course. And no, I’m not saying your mate should physically bring you out of the depths. But mentally he could. [I suddenly wondered if my thoughts were even making sense, as the male seemed to be still lost somewhere in the land of whips and cuffs. I almost scoffed out loud. This one was easier to read without the added bonus of a visual. My hand came down hard onto the desk in an attempt to bring the lost soul back to the present.] Yo. I’m not in need of a snapshot of whatever you and your leather clad mate get up to before cuddle time. But if the mention of his name can made you do… [My hand raised to wave absently toward the male.] …well whatever the fuck that was, then we’re on the right track. Here’s the deal, my friend. [Once again, I relaxed into the comfort of my chair, legs outstretched beneath the desk as my hands clasped behind my head.] That first moment… you know what I’m talking about, because that feeling is unmistakable. That second you know some fucker is tapping into that brain of yours, shut it down. Go to that place. I’m not saying this shit is going to work. But you’ve got to get the hell out of your brain, or you’re liable to end up a white chalk outline on the pavement.

Butch: -I jumped in my chair when I heard the loud bang of Rehv’s hand on the desk. I wasn’t just thinking about sexy times with my male, I was also remembering how we had helped each other through the horror the last time that we faced off against the symphath. I’d drawn Vishous so deeply into my mind that there wasn’t room for anything else. The cigarette in my hand had kept burning while I listened to Rehv and I let out a curse as it burned my fingers. I looked around for somewhere to put the thing and ended up stamping it out in something that resembled an ashtray… least I hoped it was one, could be a candy dish for all I knew. I shook my hand out and sucked on the offended fingers before saying anything.- I understand what you are saying and if that is the only silver lining that I am going to get than I will grab on to that for all that I’m worth. -I nodded and set that thought firmly in the back of my mind. I’d already seen it work after a fashion so I knew what he was saying had merit. My chair screeched back across the room as I moved in closer to the desk again. I leaned in almost conspiratorily, resting an elbow on the desk.- So tell me… How are we going to catch this fucker? I know you gotta have some ideas and if what you said is true then he’s got more planned. I’m not inclined to let him get away with it and I got a feeling it chaps your ass too. So… what’s the plan?

Rehv: [After ash had unceremoniously dropped onto my desk, the floor, and likely Butch as well, while he had been lost in his moment of reverie, I was grateful that my actions brought him back to the present, and watched with brow raised as he fumbled to get the burning butt of the cigarette into the ashtray. There was a hint of amusement to my gaze, as I’d half expected him to snuff the offending smoke under the heel of his shoe. The amusement was reflected in my voice as well.] Ah, welcome back. [As Butch leaned toward the desk and got down to business, my mind fucking reeled with the gravity of this situation. I mirrored Butch’s pose, my fingers absently smoothed across my jaw as I considered whatever option my ragged thoughts could conjure.] Well, much to my own dismay, I’ll be making a trip to the colony. Not that a pow wow with an army of sympaths is going to get me what I want. They’re about as likely to give up one of their own as you would be to join me for the trip north. [While the statement was a low blow, it was done to make a rather obvious point. There was only one recurring thought that lingered within my scattered thoughts.] We have to draw them out again. The Forelesser and his sidekick need to have reason to make another appearance. [My gaze narrowed on the Brother opposite me, as my voice lowered ominously.] And you, my friend, may be the key to that. The bait, so to speak.

Butch: -I smiled sarcastically at the suggestion of a ‘trip north’. Little over a year ago I wouldn’t even have known what that met. Sucked that I had to learn that one the hard way. I did love that cabin… sigh…- Yeah, as much fun as that sounds I think I’ll take a pass unless we are talking about dropped a bomb down that hole and taking a flamethrower to anything that came out of it. No offense… I might feel the same level of anger for my own kind if I found out a human was siding with the forelesser… maybe… -My eyes rolled like I was thinking about it a minute.- No, probably not cause that wouldn’t make sense. Lesser are basically dead humans anyways. I should know, I played a lesser once. It wasn’t fun. I don’t suggest it unless you really love the Omega, like stinking like shit and get a kick out of dying. -It definitely seemed like we were plotting something here so I leaned in even closer to oblige the sinister feel of the moment.- This may strike you as strange but I had thought very much along those same lines. I am quite suicidal at times. Much to the chagrin of my male. But I gotta tell ya… I look terrible in heels and my legs are way too hairy for dresses. So what kinda bait are we really talking about here?

Rehv: [I found myself tapping my fingertips on the desk as Butch went off on his dialogue about flamethrowers and mass destruction. The idea was almost appealing, except it was unlikely to produce the result we sought for this purpose. Though I found myself wearing a somewhat sadistic grin at the mental image his description provided. Maybe a little too sadistic for the King of the race he spoke of annihilating. But hell, I was only half sympath anyway. I filed the suggestion away in my mind and shifted my focus back to the matter at hand. Then almost laughed out loud as Butch leaned further against the desk; he seemed to be enjoying the sinister plotting. A fact which I instantly shared, and admired.] While the idea of explosions and evil use of fire is seriously intriguing and right the fuck up my alley, I think I must decline. For now, that is. [My smirk was instantly replaced with an expression of distaste as Butch then interjected far too much description with a sarcastic remark about a dress and heels. I held my hand up in the hopes of halting progress, and easily dodged the visual that he provided as I quickly took over the conversation.] I was thinking more along the lines of you being visible. It’s unlikely a show of leg will do the trick. Feel free to stick to your regular costume, and I’m sure you’ll make a fine target. [Turning my chair again, my forearms came to rest on the desk, my gaze meeting Butch’s full on.] So, there’s likely little doubt that anyone in the vicinity missed your reaction to meeting up with the sympath, especially the Forelesser and the sympath himself. My guess… no, call it a hunch… is that the Forelesser will keep his new best buddy by his side as much as possible. It’s unlikely, but I’m hoping to find a noticable absence when I arrive at the colony. Now, I’ll wager a bet that the Forelesser is going to use his sympath sidekick to fuck with every brain belonging to the Brotherhood that he can. But he already knows he can get to you. So, here’s the kicker. [My forefinger tapped out a staccato beat as I contemplated my next words, eyes narrowed in thought.] The only plus to the sympath’s involvement is it’s getting the Forelesser out in the open. The trick now is to figure out where he may turn up next. Nail down that golden piece of info, put your fancy mug right in the line of fire and you’ve got yourself the makings of an ambush.

Butch: -I grinned and shrugged at the lost opportunity.- Hey, you ever wanna take me up on it, I have a male who lights up like a candle when he’s really pissed or if I rub up on him real good. Could go for a two-fer there cause he’s fucking hawt when he’s pissed and I’d probably be rubbing up on him then anyways. -A loud laugh bubbled out of me and I threw Rehv a wink, figuring that he knew I was joking. I was surprised at the turn around here. One moment I was ready to bolt out the door and the next I was joking around with the guy. The fact that this seemed to piss him off every bit as much as it did me probably helped fuel the fire. And as I originally noticed, Rehv didn’t look like the symphaths that I was familiar with. My eyes sparkled like we were sharing an inside joke as he waved off the image of me in a dress.- Thank goodness because I would have absolutely nothing to wear. Would have to go to the seedy part of town and get tips from the trannies and cross dressers. A frightening prospect. -I leaned back in my chair, actually getting comfortable next to the guy who by all rights was the leader of the symphaths.- You can trust in the fact that not only will I be out there kicking up enough stink to draw attention to myself but my Brothers will be as well. The entire lot of us had to hit the streets to gather up the bodies of all of the civilians. None of us are happy about this and patrols have been cranked up. I can’t remember the last time I actually had a night off. -I scraped my thumbnail down the side of my face as I considered what Rehv was suggesting.- I’ll shake my ass for you if you think that it might help nail this fucker but pardon me if I don’t trust you to run to the rescue. What ever beef he’s got clearly extends to the whole vampire race and that does pretty much include you. I’d watch my ass up there if I were you. Couldn’t pay me to take on that task. I’d much rather hit the streets and risk my chances with the Forelesser. You can keep this… -Tapping a finger on the piece of paper that had the sketch I made. I pulled out my pen and added my phone number to the bottom of the page.- I’m sure you will call if you happen to see him pop his head out. -I stood up from the chair and straightened the front of my suit. It was past time that I hit the streets but I did feel better about things than I had when I first came in here. He was aware of the facts and I was fairly certain that he wouldn’t sit on his ass and do nothing about it.- Stay safe, Rehvenge.

Rehv: Why am I not surprised that you would be acquainted with the lovely beings loitering on street corners, teetering on their borrowed heels? [My smirk was pure amusement, not a hint of sarcasm to my tone as the mood almost visibly rose within the office. It was interesting, to say the least, to find a common ground with this Brother, but not altogether unusual. A deep laugh was my reaction to Butch’s continuing rambling, and I settled back in my chair, curiously relieved for the comic edge to the conversation. Not that the current matter at hand was any less grim because of it, but humor took the edge off.] Well, keep that roman candle of a mate of yours on standby then. If this visit of mine goes badly, there may be room for an explosion or twenty. [I slid my hand across the desk to pull the sketch toward me after Butch had scribbled on the bottom of the page, nodding slowly as my eyes scanned the image.] Believe me, there’s not one damn part of me that doesn’t loathe the idea of my trip up north, but what’s a sympath king to do? [With an humourless chuckle, I lifted the page, folded it, and tucked it into the pocket of my suit jacket, then smoothed my fingers along the lapel absently, lifting my gaze to meet Butch’s.] Do me a favor and keep me posted. And stay out of your head if you happen to run across pale face and his sidekick. I’ll check in when I get back from my unwanted vacation. [Nodding once at Butch’s last remark as I stood, buttoning the jacket of my suit while mentally preparing for the trip to hell.] You do the same, Butch.

No comments:

Post a Comment