Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Prodigal Son


Butch
-I was beginning to hate the daylight hours. Just the fact that I had to stay indoors during them really chapped my ass. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’d been working a case and gone straight through days and nights on maybe two hours of sleep. Now I was stuck inside for a large portion of my frickin life. It was maddening when I had shit to do and I was use to being able to do it whenever the fuck I wanted to. The price for living longer I suppose. Whatever. Hated it. Only so many times you could hit the gym or watch the game for the millionth time. I knew why V stuck his head behind those computers all the damn. I sure as fuck didn’t blame him. I was just more hands on when it came to tracking things down. It equalled being shit outta luck during the daytime so I should probably just get over my damn self. Ah but bitching was in my nature. I grumbled through all of the typical things I would do every morning: shit, shower and shave. I even wasted a good portion of my time picking out a suit. I might be irritated but I could at least look nice doing it. I didn’t plan on spending my entire evening patrolling, there was stuff that I needed to look into that weren’t exactly leathers wearing type stuff. I was never a huge fan of the leathers. They looked tight as shit on my mate but give me a well tailored suit any day of the week. I wandered through the underground hallways until I found my way up into the mansion. I didn’t exactly have a goal in mind but as soon as I saw the pool table I knew what I was going to do to let my mind just mellow. I set up a rack and walked over to the assorted cues that were lined up on the wall. My fingers ran over them all until I found ‘mine’. Anyone touching my pool cue risked broken fingers, I was very particular about it. Before I took my first shot I walked over and poured myself a Lag. I took a sip and set the glass on the edge of the table and broke. Another sip, line up the next shot and tap it in. Over and over again until my mind was numb with it.-
Murhder
[I was going stir crazy being stuck in a house with Z all the time. I was supposed to be avoiding him at all costs. Kind of hard to do when you not only work together but live together too. And ever since the Fade ceremony rotations had been put into overdrive. I didn’t mind it one bit. It helped me get my mind off…um a certain brother and all the confusing shit. I hated dwelling on it too long. I’d been working out a ton on top of rotations, if I wasn’t on rotation I usually found any Brother but Z to kill time with and dick around. Today was one of those days. I had already worked out, took a shower, shopped online, now I was bored and antsy again. I headed down the stairs and into the game room. I stopped when I saw someone in there I hadn’t yet met. He was big like a Brother but idk then I smelled it. He reeked of Vishous. So this was V’s mate. Bout time we finally got a proper introduction. Grinning wide as I stride inside.] Hello.
Butch: -I was racking up my next round when I heard someone come into the room. I’d assumed it would be Rhage trying to take a wack at losing again but when I looked up I didn’t recognize the dude at all. I fixed the triangle just so and lifted it from the table.- So who are you then? -I twirled the triangle around my finger and then hung it up on the wall.- Wait, no, lemme guess. I love this part. -I made a show of thinking about it a minute as I leaned back and took another swig of my Lag. What was plainly obvious was that he was more than welcome in the mansion. No alarms or bells and whistles were going off throughout the place. V hadn’t warned me about some kinda bad guy wandering the halls. And this guy was too old to be a trainee. He could easily be a relative, like a son or cousin, but I wasn’t betting on it. Couldn’t say why, just wasn’t betting on it. He carried himself like a warrior. Not a bastard or he would be down there with Throe. We hadn’t inducted anyone recently so whatever he was came before my time. There were a lot of things that I didn’t know about stuff before my time and I could probably spend lifetimes pouring over it all but I’d much rather learn as I go.- Long lost Brother. -I announced it with confidence and turned back to rub chalk on my cue. I still didn’t know his name but I felt good in pinning that much down at least.-
Mur: [Grins like a mother fucker when Vishous mate pins me down so quickly. Shouldn’t be surprised he was smart and quick, you had to be when it came to V. Plus V was a picky mother fucker. So it spoke volumes about this male before me.] Bingo. I am the prodigal son returned [spreads my arms wide] feel free to worship at your own will. [Laughs, grinning watching the male work his pole so to speak. Scribe I made my own self laugh.] So you know obviously know I’m the sexiest Brother since you’ve seen with me now with your own eyes. But what you don’t know is almost the funnest. I’m Murhder by the way. Please call me Mur. [Holds out my hand.] And you’ve got to be Vishous’s mate, true?
Butch: -I nodded to myself when I heard my conclusion confirmed. I leaned over the table, lined up my break and took the shot with a loud crack.- You know that the prodigal son left the home because he was a giant fuck up right? -I straightened back up and took another sip of my drink. My brow arched at the amount of attitude coming from this guy that was just meeting me.- Everyone knows that Hollywood is the sexiest and he also thinks he’s the funnest so don’t go preaching that shit to him. -My attention returned to the pool table and took a few more shots.- Why the heck would I want to call you Mur? That’s like a sound, a grunt, or maybe what someone says when they have a mouthful of food. Be like calling V, Vish. Or Z, Zsad. Since we are sticking with the letters here I’ll call ya M. -I grinned and took the offered hand, squeezing it properly and giving a firm shake. The art of the handshake, few people paid it much attention but it could tell you a lot about the person.- Dhestroyer… -My smile flashed a hint of fang.- But most call me Butch, or Cop, hardass, smartass, or any other version of words with an ass in it somewhere.
Mur: [Quirking a brow as I shook the Cops hand firmly.] Really? Is that what they say? I’m not really worried about Hollywood and his dreams of being the sexiest. I can handle him in the sexiest Brother alive contest hands down. [Grins.] So….Butch is it? How did you and V meet? I haven’t had the chance to have a good sit down with V yet. Shits been crazy ever since I got back. [nods towards the pool table] This where you spend your days waiting for V to wake his precious ass up? [Chuckles.]
Butch: I didn’t realize that title of ‘sexiest’ Brother was a contest but I’m biased. I think all o’ you sonsobitches are ugly ass mutherfuckers compared to my Hellren. -I laughed and gave up on pretended to shoot pool, leaning against the table with my Lag in hand.- I met all of the Brotherhood at once when I killed a forelesser outside of Darius’s house. Right out there on the lawn in broad daylight. -Thinking back on it now made me laugh and shake my head.- Talk about a rude awakening. That was straight fucked. -I replaced the pool cue on the wall and walked over to the minibar to refill my glass.- Can I getcha anything? -Motioning to the assorted bottles around me before pulling a smoke out and lighting it up.- If I wanted at V’s precious ass, as you so eloquently put it, I would just take it. He happens to be every bit as busy as the rest of us have been lately, I only came up here to clear my head. I would say that it’s rare to see me anywhere outside of the Pit. It’s more my home than the house I grew up in.
Mur: [Nods listening to the Cop talk, going still when he mentions Darius.] You killed a forelesser when you were human outside of Darius’s house? [Shakes my head at the offer for a drink.] Nah, thanks man. I’m trying to be good but I doubt I can still keep that up with not smoking. [Nods to the smoke you have in your hand.] What kind you got? Where did you used to work as a cop and for how long? [I leaned back against the pool table content to learn about V’s mate. Thinking of V I can’t help but grin.] Boy do I have stories about V, any type of story you can think of. We’ve done it. Ever want a story about your Hellren come to me.
Butch: -I had to stop and just kinda take in all that the guy was throwing at me. My hand was on the top of the bottle of Lag and I was getting ready to put it back after pouring a drink for myself and I just stopped to listen him.- You are just full of it aren’t ya? Big ole ball of energy. -I laughed and slid the bottle back into its spot. Wasn’t even sure where to start first so I pulled out my pack of Marbs, held it up to show him and just left them sitting on the bar. It was nearly finished off anyway. I flicked ash into a tray laying there and relaxed my elbow on the counter.- I quit smoking back when my lungs gave a shit. Not like I’m getting cancer now though is it? -I took a long drag and just let it float out of my mouth as I considered how much I wanted to do the ‘this is your life thing’. I could understand the level of curiosity though, had my own questions about him that he was filling in nicely just by talking.- Been a cop for long enough to consider retiring. Bounced here and there ended up here cause fate is just that fucked up. Detective O’Neal, Caldwell Homicide at your service. -I made a motion as if I was tipping an invisible hat to Murhder.- It’s how I ended up outside of Darius’s and I was lucky enough to have lil ole Fritz see me. He come running out with knife for me to use and was even kind enough to tell me what was gonna do the lesser in. Otherwise I woulda been six feet under for sure cause that fuck kept coming. Pretty sure I resembled hamburger after that little encounter…. fun times! -I laughed and took a big swig of my drink.- Stories about Vishous… You all make me feel positively youthful. It’s terrific. Here I was starting to get arthritis and shit. I would like to hear your stories, they sound blackmail worthy and that’s always entertaining. But don’t get me wrong, I know my baby like the back of my hand.
Mur: [Nods as I listen to the Cop talk.] That sounds interesting. I bet you’ve seen a lot like us then in that line of work. Definitely not your typical 9-5 job. [Chuckles.] And yeah I know I ask a lot of questions, I can’t help it. I’m a curious sucker. [Grins.] There’s tons of stories about V that would be great blackmail that I’m sure being his Hellren and all nothing I will tell you will shock you. [laughs] Just good fun blackmail stories. Anytime I’m willing to give you stories about my Brothers. Someone’s got to be the one to remind these dudes we got to live to ya know what I mean? You do even when you were a Cop. Our line of work isn’t easy. It’s why we need to never take each day for granted and live it up. [Shrugs.] And I love making my Brothers laugh. [Wicked grin.] But I’ll gladly make you feel youthful anytime Cop. Me and V have blackmail history. He was always my favorite to prank cause V didn’t just take my shit and bitch and moan. V pushes right back and retaliates even bigger. [shakes my head, lost in memories.]
Butch: No, see now there is where you are wrong. I never saw anything like you fuckers. You all go through great lengths to keep it that way though don’t you? -shaking my head- No, the shit I saw was somehow worse. Human aren’t exactly endangered, they don’t give a fuck what they do to each other and it’s typically pretty fuckin deprived. -My eyes took on a haunted expression for a moment as some of the more brutal cases tumbled forward in my memory. I blinked, took one last drag on my smoke and stamped it out.- Catching monsters is what I do. -I watched Murhder as he described Vishous and couldn’t help but smile. He was right, V didn’t take anyone’s shit and he was definitely about the payback. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.- I won’t tell anyone if you don’t mention it again. -Eyes flaring- I’m quite possessive of what is mine. -I rolled the tumbler of Lag between my hands and took a quick sip.- My turn. Why did you leave and what brought you back?
Mur: [I watched the haunted look pop into the Cops eyes and boy did I know that look. I looked at that everyday when I looked in the mirror.] That’s true. We do go to extra lengths to make sure humans don’t find out about us. [I went completely still when Butch mentioned monsters. I watch his eyes flare when he mentions Vishous and possessiveness. Hmm is that what I looked like when…Whoa not going there. V and the Cop were totally different. It was obvious they were meant to be, fate or whatever shit they call it. Me and the yellow eyed giant…I couldn’t even go there. Shaking my head mentally and bringing myself back to the present, brows furrowing. He really didn’t know?] You seriously don’t know? V never told you? [Shakes my head.] V is good at respecting peoples business. Well long story short, I fell in love and bonded with a female who was a Sympath and didn’t tell me. She lied to me. I took it really hard. Really, really hard. I got kicked out of the Brotherhood and that was the last straw. I felt betrayed by everyone I had counted on. Went away on vacation [snorts] finally woke up and realized my Brothers had actually been trying to help me but I pushed them all away. I took a lot of shit for granted but luckily Wrath and the boys have accepted me back. [shrugs] So that’s my Oprah story.
Butch: -I laughed and came out from behind the bar.- I could fill entire vaults full of the shit that V doesn’t say. -I walked across the room until I came to the couch where I sat down. I jumped right back up off the couch as soon as I heard the word symphath.- Shut the fuck up! A frickin symphath?!! Shiiiiiiiiit!… Dude, okay I’m feelin ya now. -My eyes went wide at the thought. Falling in love with a symphath… Though I did have to admit my recent experience with Rehv had turned out better than I thought it would that didn’t mean I was about to snuggle up to the guy.- They took you back huh? Isn’t that just sweet? -laughing- Good to know that you can fuck up and still have some kinda chance. Though your story is missing the tears and hugging at the end for an Oprah story I think. -holding up a hand- Before you ask, no, I don’t do hugs.
Mur: [Barks out a laugh.] I don’t know. I just forgot to appreciate what I had and when my Brothers reached out with a helping hand I pushed them all away. And I just left. [Shrugs.] So I guess you could call it fucking up. I am lucky Wrath and my Brothers have taken me back in. [Grins.] If this was Oprah I don’t want no hugs especially from a Red Sox fan I’d want new car parts. She gives away cars now haven’t you heard? [hops on top of the pool table sitting down]
Butch: -Being bonded myself, I knew what it was like to be apart from Vishous. The time that I spent away from him when I was at Darius’s by myself were near madness, and it had put V through his own little hell as well. I couldn’t help but wonder how this Brother had managed it. I wouldn’t want to do it, I didn’t even want to think about it.- You seem no worse for the wear now. But I know how much of that can be complete bullshit hidden in quippy little jokes. -I turned toward the door and took a step in that direction.- I can’t say that I know much about Oprah aside from how much she’s wiggled her way into the homes of millions. -I glanced back over my shoulder at Murhder and his obvious attempt to rile me.- In case you couldn’t tell, Vishous went all the way to Boston to find a mate that bleeds the Sox. Mock them at your own peril. They were the ones that came out on top. -I slid out the door with a wink backward, calling out over my shoulder.- Nice to meet you Murhder.

No comments:

Post a Comment