Monday, June 3, 2013

A New Mystery


Butch
-What I expected to be a day full of piecing together evidence turned into a giant cluster fuck. I almost turned around and walked right out the door of the station when I got mobbed as soon as I stepped foot inside. The whole place was in an uproar like someone had defiled a family member. By the time I sat down at my desk I had the whole story cobbled together. Fuck… I needed a drink… My head dropped in my hands and I just stayed there for awhile trying to clear my head. Not only was all of my evidence gone but the whole freaking top floor of the Commodore went up in flames. Nothing about this case was turning out right. I had apparently been pulling clumps out of my hair because Jose had to stop me with a hand on my shoulder. My hands fell heavily on the desk when I looked up at him and he motioned with his head toward the Chief’s office. ‘He’s already talked to me. He wants to have a word with you. I gotta tell you though, I didn’t have anything to offer. I’m as baffled as you are on this one.’ I dragged myself out of my chair and prepared to face the music. Squaring my shoulders and grabbing a cup of coffee before I knocked on the door. The only thing that I could hope at this point was that no one had seen me take those daggers or I was really up shit creek. Luckily I just had to sit there and get yelled at for thirty minutes about how I was more concerned about getting a drink last night then I was about securing the evidence. The irony of the situation made me laugh. I hadn’t even had a drop of alcohol. I went straight home with the daggers that I nabbed and tried to bend my mind around how I knew them. Hell, they were still tucked securely under my pillow. I wasn’t stupid enough to bring them in here today. Of course laughing was not the correct response to being reprimanded, it only served to piss off the boss even more. I was told that Jose and I were not to come anywhere near the case. We were put on some dead drug dealer found in an alley instead. I had no choice but to agree and walk out with my tail between my legs. Didn’t mean that I wasn’t still going to be curious as all hell about what really went down. I never really dropped a case until all the pieces were put together. Shit like that nagged at me hardcore. We grabbed our stuff and went out to the new crime scene. I didn’t expect to find anything out of the ordinary with a run of the mill drug involved shooting. We got our shit done in relative silence and went our separate ways. Neither one of us wanted to talk about the fact everything that could go wrong at the Commodore did. The only thing that would have been worse is if they had actually caught one of us kneeling over the body with a damn bloody knife after coming out of our full on lobotomy. I wasn’t even in the mood to sit my ass at a bar tonight. What I really wanted to do was beat someone’s skull in and I knew from prior experience that was exactly the time that I should avoid the hard stuff. My temper tended to get away from me and I didn’t give a good goddamn about the consequences when I was loaded. My job was the only thing that I had and I had to keep my nose clean right now or I wouldn’t have that anymore either. I picked up some food on the way home, throwing it down on the coffee table with my keys and heading into my bedroom. I tossed my coat down on the bed followed by my gun. My eyes couldn’t help but wander back to the cursed daggers. They were in my hands again without so much as a thought. The way this shit was going, I doubted I would ever solve this mystery either. I might as well be dropped in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle in a row boat. I brought them with me back to the couch, kicked my feet up, turned on the TV and let my mind go numb while I ate my food.-
V
After spending the rest of the day light hours switching between the bench press, punching bag and tread mill, I had finally put things back into perspective. Job was simple, go to the address I found in my search and retrieve my blades, then hit the streets and get things in gear. No side tracking business and no more distractions and sure as fuck no more human cop. Walking over to my desk, I cop a squat and pull up the local news, and there it was, the fire at the Commodore had been kept to only the top floor but it alone was destroyed. Switching over to the police station, I hack in and see that the homicide at the Commodore had switched hands from one Brian Oneal to some unknown Detective. Delving into the records of the new attending officer I had to smirk, he was a lazy SOB that had a low as hell case load and even lower complete rate. Odds are this case would go unsolved and it will get buried away under more and more unsolved cases. Shrugging my large still sweaty shoulders. ”Not my biz” Pushing away from the desk, I head in and do a quick wash down and even quicker dress and gear up, the restless in me growing to the point that I felt I could crawl outside of my own skin. The sparsely furnished warehouse feeling more cramped and closed in then usual, I needed to bust out of here for awhile, I tried to tell myself the street was what I was itching for so bad but damn as soon as the sun set I didn’t bother driving my SUV, I opted out and dematted to the roof top of a building across the street from the Cops apartment. Walking over to the edge I knelt down low in the edge and did a number count on the windows and in no time located the one I wanted. With luck I was able to see the man walk out the door of what I knew was his bedroom, good thing for me the blueprints for the older style apartment building had been loaded onto the main frame of the city county office’s hard drive. As soon as I seen my blades in the cops hands, it took some major control not to land myself inside that one bedroom apartment, but I did the next best thing and came to form on the fire escape outside of it. 
Butch
-I downed my third cup of coffee and considered putting another pot on. I knew I would be seeing the owner of the daggers soon enough. Hell I was his only loose end now that everything was burning or stolen. How he’d just waltzed in to the police station still baffled me. Obviously he was a pro, he’d left nothing behind to even suggest that anything had happened up in that penthouse. Anyone who had seen that room before it went up in smoke knew better than that though. A part of me didn’t want to give up the daggers. They were strangely comforting and I really couldn’t pin down why. If I had half a brain, I might be scared at the thought of this guy coming to find me. I doubted that he had any qualms about killing my ass straight up. I wished that I cared. The healthy respect for one’s own mortality is something that I’d lost a long time ago. I could honestly say that catching bad guys was the only thing that got me out of bed in the morning anymore. My breath suddenly stopped short and my adrenaline kicked into gear. I resisted the urge to turn the tv down to hear what the hell was going on and instead got up slowly with the daggers in my hands. My gun would have been a lot easier but then I would have a fuckload of explaining to do as well. No, this was between me and him. I was straight pissed off that I’d been ripped from the case through no fault of my own and I wanted answers. I pressed my back to a wall and waited. I didn’t know what entrance he was choosing but I wasn’t about to get stabbed in the back either.-
V
I almost laughed out loud when the Cop knew I was there, had to give the human some cred, his instincts was some impressive stuff, but this really didn’t surprise me. This one had that no nonsense, fuck you attitude in spades and damn me to Fade but that was some addicting drug to me. I watched intently as his spine stiffened and he stood up, keeping my daggers in his hands the whole time, for now least I thought. He was waiting for me and I could feel the anger radiating from him all the way out here on the rickety iron escape and that only further to kick my blood into boiling over, but in a fired up anticipation gig. Eying the wall the Cop took up residence against, just showing how his mind was always in detective mode, and I grinned truly in some respect on that part, like me, he was always prepared and ready, even at home. Good thing for me he was on a wall that was facing away from the door so taking my cue I dematted in and just for good measure, twisted on the knob some and then casually leaned my shoulder against the door. Knowing the only other escape was through the window that I had been outside of. Clearing my throat lowly, knowing he didn’t really need any announcement of my arrival inside but hey, what the fuck. “How’s it going tonight Cop
Butch
-I kept my back to the wall and listened carefully to every sound as the stranger entered my apartment. I could hear the creak of leather as he walked and the sound of him clearing his throat was almost too loud against my straining ears. His voice didn’t give me anymore clues as to his character but I swear that I’d heard it somewhere before.- Why don’t you come round the corner and find out how I’m doing? -I knew that me jumping out wasn’t going to get me anywhere but probably dead. I had too many questions for that. Hell this whole sitch was a giant question mark in my head.- These daggers are beautiful, ya know. Maybe I’ll keep ‘em. -Why not say whatever the fuck I wanted? Not like this was going to end pretty. I licked my dry lips and stood my ground. He could come to me if he wanted to pry these from my hands.-
V
That grin that found my face earlier was back like lightening, yeah this was gonna be fun. I was being baited and damn if I wasn’t going to take a huge ass bite outta this. “You wanting me to chase you Cop?” My voice underlined with a hint of laughter. Pushing off the door, I took the steps that had me leaning just up against the same wall but on the other opposite side. “Your breathing heavier Cop, I think you might have a heart attack if you don’t calm that racing heart of yours” My gloved hand slid across the wall I was leaning against but stilled as soon as your last statement came out and so did I. As quick as a flash but not fast enough to have you questioning shit, I was standing in front of your but far enough back that if you so chose, which I expected, to swing out wide with my blade that I would be just out of reach. I stood there with the go right the fuck ahead attitude riding high, crossing my arms over my broad chest, jacket slightly undone almost half way. ”Boo, I caught you” and just like back at the Penthouse, that you don’t remember, I winked at you.
Butch
Chase me? No, I’m not going anywhere. -This wasn’t the first time I wondered what the hell this guy did for a living. I listened to the sound sliding across the wall at my back and gripped the weapons tightly. Huffing out a laugh at what I heard.- You worried I’ll drop dead of a heart attack before you get to work me over? -I didn’t wait a second to spring forward as soon as the smartass appeared in front of me. One dagger found the throat of the large fucker and the other pointed directly at his gut. I kept my momentum rolling forward until we’d reached the opposite wall where I paused to actually get a good look at whoever the fuck this was.- What’s with the winking? You gotta nervous twitch or are you sweet on me? -My eyes followed the tattoos that trailed around one brow with slow deliberation. I could see my thumb tracing the intricate design like it was something that I did often. Hell, I almost raised my hand to do just that until I snapped back out of it.- Who the hell are you? I have to know, it’s killing me. Have we met somewhere before? -Something whispered in the back of my mind. A word, but I couldn’t make sense of it. Nallum… My brow wrinkled and I blinked a few times before coming back to focus on the diamond gaze. An impossible eye color. It must be contacts.-
V
My head cocks back some when my own blade presses against my neck and fuck me if the other one wasn’t making a damn good indent into my stomach, yeah no doubt about this Human was right up my alley. I let you walk me back some till my back made contact with the solid wall behind me and still yet the grin stayed in place.”Yeah I have a twitch, you should see the other parts that jerk” Licking my lips slowly, I looked down into the hazel depths that haunted my sleep. My own diamond eyes followed the direction of your gaze and my grin finally slipped off my face. I couldn’t no more stop from hearing the broadcast then I could stop from breathing and I almost did stop breathing for a split second when I thought I might actually feel a slight brush of your thumb across my temple. “Fuck, Cop” my throat seemed filled with wadded cotton and my head almost fell back against the wall but I managed to stay standing under the pressure of both blades. “I guess since your holding my dagger to my throat, I could tell you my name, V and “ The rest dropped off when the next wave of thought came through and my mind struggled with the word that resounded like a lightening bolt in that head of yours before you shoved it down. Warning bells were going off like crazy and I knew I should stop this show down now but damn me if I couldn’t, so instead I tried to relax my locked up stance some which wasn’t an easy feat .”Look Cop, how about you remove one of the blades and take a breath, you still have the other in case, kinda hard to talk like this, your holding all the cards here, True?
Butch
-I watched every single reaction that moved across your face with a keen interest. The snarky grin fell and I found that I almost missed it. It suited you somehow.- I ask for you name and you give me a letter. Who does that? -I didn’t fail to notice the lost thought and I could almost see your wheels turning.- Somehow I doubt that a couple of sharp points would make it hard for you to spew. And I kinda like where I got you right now. -Pressing the edge of the blade into your neck just enough to draw blood.- You pulled off all manner of crap to cover your tracks. I don’t exactly feel comfortable without these daggers right now. -My eyes narrowed some and I tilted my head to consider just what my actual goal was here. I hadn’t really expected any chit-chatting.- What really happened at that penthouse? Cause I’m a little foggy on that and I don’t appreciate the feeling. Or the migraines when I try to put it together.
V
Once again my tongue ran out and I licked them over my lips, I knew I had to tread slow here, between the shit when I slept and the stuff that just spilled outta of your head, it was too much to call coincidence. No there was something up but damn if I was gonna end up dead or killing the human before I figured it out. I would have shrugged my thick shoulders but yeah didn’t want to make you get clumsy with the blade so I just spoke.”Name’s Vishous, I go by V so your call on that” My head pressed back further against the wall and damn if I didn’t growl huskily when the razor sharp blade dug into my neck enough to drawl my blood.”Chill Cop, you had it all wrong at the Penthouse, I can even get the female to confirm, that shit was totally consensual.”My voice dropped a octave and my eyes flickered with a hint of light “I can give you a demo if you’d like, I still have your cuffs” Grinning slowly.”Simple, your head is foggy cause I got the drop on you and your partner, I am a Dom and hell you was doing a simple move that is old age, I maneuvered and clocked you and had your partner down in seconds, he doesn’t move too quick does he?
Butch
-I stood there and listened to the entire bullshit explanation before I actually held it up to examine where the giant holes were. This guy must think I was a complete idiot. Whatever… let him think that.- Yeah, Jose moves like a one legged hooker alright. -Flashing a fake smile. I almost wanted to hold up my thumbs and say ‘Cool story, bro’. I didn’t doubt that he could have gotten the drop on both of us. I could clearly see that he was stacked and I clearly felt the ribbed muscles underneath the knuckle that I rested against his stomach. The flaw in that thinking though was that we didn’t come to on the floor. If we’d been knocked stupid there was no way in hell we would still be there standing when we came out of it. I let that slip by because it was clearly something that I would be lied to about if I pushed the topic. There was the part about the female. I was actually willing to bet that it was legit. All that blood though… I inwardly cringed. I knew exactly what kind of demons would cause someone to do something like that to another person. Hell it was one of the reasons that I was always in the doghouse at work. To say that my interrogation tactics were unorthodox was putting it mildly. I’d even kept up after I had the info that I needed just because I didn’t like the guy. The very thought of this guy working me over is what actually sent me reeling though. I could picture myself climbing on top of a table and being restrained. Damn if it didn’t seem real. Right down to the smells in the air. Fuck that noise… I was done with the head games. I took a giant step backward and threw the daggers into my own linoleum floor, points sinking in with a ‘twang’ right by the large clod-hoppers the guy wore.-I’m done with you yanking my chain. Kill me or don’t but take your daggers and get out of my apartment. -I turned my back on him and walked toward my bedroom. I didn’t know what was going on here and I probably never would. It felt like trying to hang on to water and I was done with it. I sat down on the edge of my bed and buried my head in my hands.-
V
My eyes dropped to the knives sticking into the well worn flooring, and then up at the retreating broad back of the human; yeah I was fucking up left and right. I should wipe this all out and hit the streets. Scrubbing a hand down my face, almost in an attempt to wipe away the sudden weariness that was slamming down over me, I reached down and pulled each blade out easily and slid them away inside my jacket. I should have turned to leave then, but no, my booted feet had a mind of there own and then I was leaning up against the door jam of the bedroom. I studied you, as you sit there and damn if my right foot didn’t lift to take a step into the room, I wanted to erase the obvious same kind of weariness mixed and rolled around with other unidentified mixture, from you. Stopping myself and at the same time I was ready go find some big hulk like mother fuckers to beat some sense in me after all this. But now I couldn’t deal with leaving like this for some damn reason, so I hit as close to the truth as I could.” Look Cop, back at the Penthouse; let’s just say that was some shit that I can’t go into full disclosure about, but I will try hard as hell not to fuck with your head like that again, and no doubt that shit isn’t going to fly with you but it’s all I can give you right now, Feel me?” I had to roll my eyes at my own damn self, why the holy fuck was I making promises to a damn human detective, and as quick as that filtered through, the visions and the thoughts that leaked out earlier nailed it down some, plus somewhere something In me was scratching it’s way out, wanting to do some major reach out and fix this, which up until now hadn’t been in my hard wiring, minus one exception.
Butch
-I lifted my head when I heard you stop at my doorway. A part of me was actually glad you hadn’t left like I asked you to. I sucked in a breath when you took another step forward but I really hadn’t expected what came next. What I wouldn’t give for a smoke right fucking now. I reached into my shirt pocket and took out a stick of gum instead, carefully unfolding it and popping it into my mouth. I leaned back on the bed propping myself up on my elbows while I rolled this new mystery through my head.- Why the fuck do you care what a stupid cop thinks of you? You planning on paying me regular visits or some shit? -From this angle I could actually get my first good look at you and it really didn’t help me shake the feeling that I knew you.- Have you done this to me before? -Motioning to my head with a hand. It really didn’t even phase me that he could screw with memories. I’d seen one guy think he was a freaking chicken because someone had hypnotized him. Sure this was more far-fetched but I didn’t rule a lot of things out when normal people would have.- Cause I swear to God that we’ve met before. 
V
Chuckling low, I shoved my hands in my pockets, and locked my feet in place, the way the Cop was laid out half way on that bed had me ready to brace my body over yours and lock you into place. And that was also the quickest way to get a knee to the groin from the straight human and I had things to figure out before getting the boot out the Cop’s life. So I kept my distance but I couldn’t stop my diamond eyes from doing a slow scan from the top of that reddish brown hair, down the long torso and legs that just at that second decided to play through my head of being locked around me. Yeah major clearing my throat there before speaking with my voice sounding like I had ate a few dozen sheets of sand paper. “Just doing a solid to a one of the guys in blue, just being an upstanding citizen type” Pushing off the door frame with my shoulder “No man, your head is yours and I haven’t done shit to it, but I am feeling you on what your saying, it’s one of the reasons I am standing here” Pulls my hands irritably from my pockets I rake my gloved hand roughly through my hair and grumbles ”Too much fucking talking, catch you later” Turning from the door, I stop after taking a couple steps and look over my shoulder at you, not giving a fuck of the deep hunger that I knew had to be blaring in my eyes.”Butch, your biggest fear about me shouldn’t be about me snuffing out your life.” Giving a curt nod I headed out.
Butch
-I shifted some under your blatant scrutiny. I hadn’t been so obviously ogled like that in a long time. It was flattering. Especially coming from someone who I was sure had no problem what-so-ever finding someone to fuck. My eyes dropped closed for a moment as I contemplated what those lips would taste like. Interesting… Not my normal cup of tea. That gravely voice rolled through the room and I couldn’t help but smirk. So I wasn’t the only one having trouble placing where we had met. Good to know, file that away for later. The lust-filled look that you tossed back over shoulder had my eyes rolling back in my head. If I was shifting before, I was down right squirming now. What the fuck?! I could clearly see that what you said was the truth but that didn’t stop my come back at your retreating form.- It was never death that I feared but it’s good to know you won’t be wielding the knife. -I rolled over on the bed trying to convince myself that I didn’t have a raging erection. Hiding my groan of discomfort deep in my pillow.-

No comments:

Post a Comment