Friday, June 7, 2013

Mistaken


Butch
-I stood on the top of a hill and scanned the surrounding area. My eyes fuzzed out and I didn’t really see what was around me, I was straining the reach of my ability to pick up on lesser instead. After a few nights of coming up with jack shit I was starting to get very irritated about the whole mess. I was ready to rush into the seediest part of town and just start bashing skulls until I found the fucker I was looking for. The only reason that I was out here doing this was because I knew that this particular chicken shit liked to guard the roost and stay behind. I had to all but throw his ass out the door when I played the role of forelesser. God, what I wouldn’t give to have known who I had under my thumb at the time. I could have done some serious damage back then and not worried about how my Hellren would see me the next day. I really wasn’t looking forward to looking into his eyes after I tore this piece of shit to shreds. It was important to me that Vishous not see where my thoughts went sometimes. He believed me to be this boyscout that I just wasn’t. There was a reason that he was the light to my dark, he was far more noble than he gave himself credit for. I closed my eyes and ran my hand over my face. I was exhausted from stretching my limits and we hadn’t come up with anything. I dropped my hand suddenly and blinked, turning my head to the side. Yep, I’d definitely picked up on something and it was coming fast. I pulled out my gun in a flash and hightailed it to the road. I saw the headlights coming toward me and cursed under my breath. My first real lead and the best I could hope for was not ending up going through the windshield. And just like a dumbass, I stepped out in the middle of the way and aimed at where the driver should be. The car sped up as soon as they saw me and I only got off a few shots before I had to get the hell out of the way. I did a diving roll on my shoulder that brought me up so that I could hit the tires too. I must have hit someone in the car because it was veering all over the road before I even managed to shoot out the tires. That or it was taking another shot at running me down. Must be my lucky night.-
V
Every night we spent tearing up the areas Butch marked out on the map only to come up mostly empty handed. On the few occasions we were able to ferret out a few of them pale bastards they always managed to get themselves killed in the fray before we could do any questioning let alone torturing to get some useful info. Frustration wasn’t even close to what I felt at the failed attempts, but what I was feeling was jack shit nothing close to what I knew was poisoning my male. Each time we came up against another wall I could see and truly visibly watch the downward spiral that he was caught up in. At first I was stepping back but staying close enough so he knew I was there but sometimes a male just needs to deal with his own shit without interference even from the ones closest to them. But fuck that shit was twisting my gut up, I was use to always being the one to go in a cleanup and clear out a mess but now this was something that was beyond me. Butch always seemed to be one that let shit roll and fall away, chasing the bad away with a blade and a smartass comeback, was now unraveling before my too clear diamond eyes. Proof of that came when I wondered back into the Pit after a two hour much needed workout and there was the table in pieces and it was only a split second before I found the one rough jagged edge piece with my mate’s blood coating it. I would know that scent anywhere still yet I brought the piece to my nose and inhaled it deeply, it wreaked of anger and hatred the same scent I knew mine had carried back in the camp and even closer to home when Butch was took in by that Omega fucker. That night I cleaned the mess up and righted everything back to the way it was even putting in a call to the Manse and telling Fritz we needed a new table and chairs, something maybe made of steel and not wood would be preferred. I didn’t say anything to Butch then, but now tonight out here seeing what is happening like something in my worst nightmares coming to live and breathe, I regretted shutting my mouth. I was just coming out from the brush after trekking over some more of the unused wooded area to see Butch walk headlong into the damn road and two lights spot lighting him like some great illumination specter. I almost had to shake my head just try and clear it of what I was really seeing, somehow I couldn’t or more on point wouldn’t convince myself that Butch had willingly walked out and left himself wide open like that. The roar of the motor was revving up showing proof that the driver was aiming for a head on collision with flesh and bones that had no fucking hope in hell of stopping the murderous metal. The bullets being shot from the cop’s gun broke into the sound of that speeding up engine as it came up closer at an alarming rate. Fuck me for thinking this was going to be yet another hum drum run of the mill nights, shit right now I would have paid with my blood to have one of those. All at once my adrenaline and mind went into overload and I yelled out from the pit of my stomach. ”BUTCH…” My hands were already jerking the blade at my chest from its safe place and the gun at my side even before I reached Butch’s side. I would have enjoyed a good hand to body combat that left me panting for air at the end of it and some physical pain would be good to, hell I was antsy for the shit but this here and now was not what I was searching out but fuck me sideways it seemed to be exactly what my male wanted. Each fucked up second that it took me to get to my destination took a damn lifetime and I knew a whole load of years off my cursed life. I dropped down on one knee beside Butch and raised my hand straight and steady as any top notched heart surgeon and took aim, each shot targeting the windshield until I emptied the clip free of ammo.
Butch
-I could hear V shout over the sound of the car but I couldn’t divert my attention from hunk of metal careening toward me for one minute. With blown out tires there was no telling where the vehicle would end up. I didn’t even take much notice of him dropping down and unloading his gun. Though having Vishous at my side was never any thing that I had to consciously take notice of, we worked together like a well oiled machine. I swung my arm behind me to sweep V and I both toward the ditch as the car took a slightly unexpected swurve. It sped by us and ran smack dab into a tree with a loud crunch of metal and snapping wood. I was on my feet before the car even came to a stop, rushing across the pavement with my daggers drawn. I couldn’t see any danger through the back window of the car so I made my way to the driver’s side. I ripped open the door and immediately froze. My whole body locked up in shock and the daggers fell from limp fingers.- No. This can’t be… -I mumbled the phrase over and over again as I stared at the scene in front of me. What I had expected to be a splatter of black was displayed before in brilliant shades of red. My mind refused to process the lifeless body of a woman behind the wheel. I sunk down to my knees. My eyes bulged in horror. I was so certain that there was at least one lesser in this car. I hadn’t even taken a second to think twice about it. And now I was responsible for the death of this innocent woman.-What have I done? Oh God! What have I done?! 
V
I took a backward dive into the small ditch when Butch’s arm came out and did a clean sweeping motion, knocking us both into the shallow safe place. Feet still planted half on ground and the now empty gun still gripped in my hand I only had enough time to jump back up before I heard the crunching sound of cheap foreign engineering ram into a tree. Before I could even blink Butch was on the run and half way across the now black smoking tire marked pavement once again leaving me to spew out a few choice words. Dropping the useless gun to the the ground I pulled free my other dagger and I came up quick as fuck behind him. Everything in me locked up and fuck my own breathing stopped in my chest. The scene inside the wreckage looked like some mass killing bloody scene but more than that, it was pure human blood that filled my nose and not a single beat to be heard in the bullet riddled body of the female that lay slumped over the wheel. One look over at Butch was enough to jump start my brain and I shoved one blade back in its holster and stepped around the shock frozen in place male, I had to shove down every protective male instinct and do my job instead of taking care of the one that had a look of pure in hell expression on his face. First thing first was taking in the contents of the inside of the vehicle, crouching down close to the body I looked on either side of her and scanned the back seat to make sure that nothing of importance stood out. Pushing myself back up I turned and peered into the face of Butch, not a single drop of color was left in it and the eyes seemed to be out of focus, I kept my arms hanging at my side, ready to restrain or what the fuck ever I might need to do when what I was about to do registered fully in the male. “Alright, no time to hang and figure shit out here, time for recon, Cop.” Lifting my gloved hand up I removed your hand from the door where it still held tightly to and laid my other hand on your chest so I can walk you back just enough steps till once again we was on the other side of the road where we came from. “Don’t move Butch, we’ll be out of here soon.” I eyed you close as fuck and still didn’t want to turn away but shit had to be done and now before all hells broke loose, who knew if anyone heard all this commotion and fuck a passerby could show up any second. With that shit whirling around in my head I retrieved my gun from the ground leaving you there and headed back across the street. I shut the driver’s door quietly which was unneeded but somehow seemed like it would be something respectful you would do. Yanking my leather glove off my hand that was already coursing with white hot power, I barely touched the roof before the metal started to spark and creak under the heat and slid a fingertip down over the back window, each spot shattering and I ended up with my hand almost laying firmly right up against the panel with the gas tank laying protectively behind it. It only took a few seconds before I heard and better yet seen the fire explode around my hand and pushing more power through it I waited just a moment before I stepped back some and watched as the whole back of the car lit into flames and soon the rooftop followed and like a domino effect the whole car was consumed in a rolling staggering display of flames that were quickly reaching the taller branches on the large tree. I was back to Butch and doing the grabbing his arm and pulling into the woods thing before shit hit the fan. “Alright time to go, nothing will be left soon and we can’t be here any longer man.
Butch
-I managed to pull myself back to my feet when Vishous came over and I looked to him for some sort of answer to my unasked question, answers that I knew he didn’t have because this had all been my fault. I couldn’t have felt more lost if someone had stabbed my eyes out and turned me loose in a hedge maze. I’d done some pretty shitty things in my life but I had never taken the life of an innocent. It was like I could feel everything that made me who I was unravel at the seams. I had stepped way the fuck over the line that I drew in the sand. On one side I still held on to some shred of humanity and I could look myself in the mirror and justify all of my actions. On this other side I was a monster no better than the Omega. The mere thought of the ultimate evil brought the all too familiar sickening tingle to the back of my mind and fuck if he wasn’t laughing at me. I mutely watched Vishous look through the car and all I could think of was the blood that he might get on him. This crime wasn’t his. I glanced down at myself and noticed that I didn’t have one drop on me. I almost stepped forward and pulled him away from the car but by the time the thought clicked in my head he had turned back toward me. I looked down to see a hand on my chest and I followed up the arm until I was making eye contact. I desperately wanted to hear that this was just all some fucked up dream and I hadn’t actually done this but I knew it wasn’t true. My feet moved backward at his urging but that was the only thing that would have gotten me to move. I knew what V was going to do, hell I knew that it needed to be done, but all it boiled down to was a cover up. I’d seen more than my fair share of murderers trying to hide their crimes. And now I understood the shame of it. My stomach raced up my throat and doubled over as the entire contents spilled out at my feet in a violent heave. I half expected it to be as black as the night cause I could still hear the fucker laughing and that usually only happened after I’d inhaled a lesser. I wiped the back of my sleeve over my mouth and straightened up in time to see V lay his burning hand down on the car. In any other circumstance it was a beautiful thing to behold and I never tired of it. Now it was some kind of patch to cover up how bad I’d fucked up. The thought almost made me hurl again. He was taking care of my fuck up, something that shouldn’t have been his problem in the first place. I couldn’t believe that I had involved V in something like this. I couldn’t turn away from the fiery scene in front of me, it was almost like I owed it to the innocent woman to sit through every sick detail. The image, the terrible smell of burned flesh, the intense heat that flared from the explosion, all of it would be seared into my brain forever. I hadn’t even noticed that he was back at my side until I felt Vishous pull at my arm. Had he not been there I would have walked straight into the flames, I was still tempted to do it. I even took a step forward only to be pulled the other direction. I tried to shake the arm off but I didn’t put much effort into it. My head tipped back and let out a loud shout. The muscles in my neck strained from the scream as I forced the emotion outward and upward. I knew it didn’t do a lick of good but I hadn’t said anything since V had stepped in and I had to express myself in some way. I just as immediately sunk back into silence and followed my Hellren reluctantly into the night.-

No comments:

Post a Comment