Monday, June 3, 2013

Different Paths


Butch
-An annoying buzzing sound echoed around my skull. It hurt my teeth and I wondered how much I drank last night. My arm swung out to grab the alarm clock and rip it from the wall. I groaned at the sound it made when it hit the floor. Good thing I bought a sturdy fucker that could take that sort of abuse. Couldn’t remember how many alarm clocks I had gone through before I figured that one out. I lazily rolled over on my bed and rubbed the crap out of my eyes before finally opening them. Never enough sleep… I guess I should be happy I’d gotten any at all. It took what seemed like a monumental effort to actually manage to sit up. I looked down at my clothes and realized I’d just passed out on the bed in what I was wearing yesterday. Nothing new there either. I stumbled through my apartment like a zombie and mechanically got the coffee brewing before I made my way to the shower. I would catch all manner of shit if I came in smelling of alcohol… again… Clothes dropped to the floor to join in the pile of ‘I’ll get to that later’ bullshit that I had strewn about all over the place. I leaned against the tile and let the water work its magic on my shoulders and neck. I must have fallen asleep again because all of the sudden I was being pelted with cold water. Well if that don’t wake you up, I don’t know what will. I flicked the TV on ESPN to listen to the scores while I ran an electric razor over my ugly mug. By the time I made it back to the kitchen I looked somewhat presentable. I took a look in the fridge and wished I hadn’t. It was a good thing that disgusting smells didn’t bother me anymore or I would have lost it hard core. I closed what was quickly becoming a science project and stuck to the coffee. No wonder Jose’s wife was always worried about me. It was a wonder I managed to keep the gut down between all the fast food and alcohol. I almost considered hiring someone to come in here and take care of this mess for me. Laughing into my coffee. Not fucking happening on a cop salary. Well, I suppose it could if I gave up drinking. Yeah… not happening. My phone went off in my pocket and I pulled it out to read the text. Jose was at a scene waiting for my ass already.- No rest for the weary. -I fired back a reply and threw a coat on to hide my gun. Truth be told, I would rather be working then staring at this sad ass apartment anyway. I downed the rest of the coffee in one burning gulp and made my way to the crime scene.-
Vishous
My hands moves swiftly between the keyboard and mouse that lay out before me, each screen filled with different data, this routine was as much apart of me as strapping on my daggers each night before I slipped into the darkness. I heard the familiar ding of the coffee pot and finally I reclined back in the black leather office chair and scrubbed my hand down over my too wide awake eyes.”Fuck I should move where the damn nights are longer” Even as I said it I knew I wasn’t going anywhere and as much as it drove me crazed, being confined inside with no one but my own company till night time graced the sky. Here in Caldwell was where I would stay, for one reason only, Lessers. Each night I went out and hunted my prey, some nights they made it too easy and those fucking nights pissed me off. What happened to being proud of the fight, giving your opponent all that they gave to you and the best one left breathing at the end. Snorting I pushed out of the chair and walked into the small open if you could call it kitchen and poured a large mug of black coffee. Bracing one hand on the plain black counter and the other holding the steaming cup, I looked around at the once abandoned small warehouse and now my headquarters/home. Not much going on in the single floor space but it was clean and served to give me enough room for my equipments and I was able to park the SUV inside, and with some kick ass luck it had came with an old age firing stove in the back. Letting go of the counter I leaned back against the rear counter and my eyes settled on the video feeds on the largest of my screens. The Manse of the Brotherhood in the center of the monitor and each feed surrounding it was all from different angles that I had set up throughout the property. To say their security sucked was being nice, but that was my fucked opinion. It also served me good to so I wasn’t gonna give them a call and tell them this shit. My mouth actually split into a grin just thinking about how that phone call would go down. Knowing their movements was a way I knew where they were and where I wouldn’t be, the robotics bugs had stayed firmly in place in each location and thank fuck for that, last thing I needed was a run in with my own hunters that thought I was their prey. My brows dropped dangerously low and I finished the remains of the coffee and went back to my makeshift desk that I constructed from a sheet of plywood and some table horses. Falling back down in my chair I pulled up the street cams from the location I had found the 5 newly inducted lessers last night and with some finesse I was able to sit back and watched the sad as hell brawl playing out in front me.  I couldn’t stop my diamond eyes from rolling as I watched the newby’s come at me and in a matter of minutes each undead life was distinguished. “Fucking sucks” .I tried to remember the last time I had my eyes to sleep but damn it was eluding me, like it was a black hole, it must have been a while ago, I was feeling wired, on edge and my head was sliding down a steep hill, night couldn’t get here quick enough, I had to get outside of myself and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment